1959 – James McGrath
1960 to 1967 – Paschal Byrne
1967 to 1968 – Hugh Birdwhiste
1968 to 1969 – Patrick Brizzell
1969 to 1970 – Christopher Lightbound
Fr Chris was born on 31st July 1930 in Wallasey to Vera and Joseph, their third child and a brother to John and Anne. He was baptised at the old church of Ss Peter and Paul on 4th August 1930, received his First Holy Communion on 17th July 1938 and was confirmed there in October.His early school years were spent at Maris Stella Primary School in New Brighton and at the Christian Brothers’ St Anselm’s College in Birkenhead. He then entered Ushaw Junior Seminary in 1943 where he remained until 1949 to continue his studies for the priesthood at the Venerable English College in Rome.
He was ordained priest at Our Lady of the Snows Chapel, Palazzola near Rome on 10th July, 1955 by Archbishop William Godfrey. He finished his studies in Theology and Canon Law in 1958, and returned to the Diocese of Shrewsbury to start his priestly ministry at the Cathedral under Canon Terence Walsh. His next posting was as Assistant Priest to Fr Michael Elcock at Our Lady and St Christopher, Romiley.
He returned to Wirral in 1970 as Parish Priest at Our Lady of Pity in Greasby during the exciting years after the Second Vatican Council and in 1980 celebrated his Silver Anniversary. In 1982 Bishop Joseph Gray appointed him as Vicar General of the Diocese, and as Parish Priest to St Teresa’s, Wilmslow, with a roving commission in the pastoral care of the clergy until the year 2000.
His final posting as Parish Priest was at the historic parish of St Mary of the Angels in Hooton where he stayed until his retirement in 2003. In July 2005, Fr Chris celebrated his Golden Jubilee of priesthood.
1969 to 1973 – Frederick Walsh
1970 to 1971 – Sean Healy
1973 to 1975 – Patrick Egan
1975 to 1980 – Donal Dwyer
Fr Donal Dwyer was born on 19th April 1950. He trained for the priesthood at Thurles, and was ordained at St Patrick’s, Thurles on 7th June 1975.His first appointment in the Shrewsbury diocese was with us at Our Lady and St Christopher’s, and moved onto St Alban’s in Liscard from 1980-1985. He then became chaplain at Arrowe Park Hospital in 1985. His first Parish Priest appointment was in 1988 at St Mary’s in Shifnal and then at St Peter’s, Stalybridge from 1993 to 2002. At that point he returned to Ireland in the Diocese of Killaloe where he is continuing his ministry at the parishes of St Joseph, Castleconnell & St Patrick’s, Ahane.
1980 to 1985 – Anthony Cavanagh
1986 – Anthony Myers
Fr Anthony Myers was born in Workington but the family moved to Manchester after the Second World War. He was educated at St. Aidan’s Primary School, Northern Moor, spent three years at St. Bede’s College, Manchester, and then finished off his secondary education and trained for the priesthood at Ushaw College, Durham.Ordained in 1966, he went to Rome for further studies, and then, after three short pastoral appointments in St. Anthony’s Wythenshawe, St. Peter’s, Stalybridge and St. Vincent’s, Altrincham, returned to Ushaw College to teach Canon Law. He was there from 1972 until 1985, during which time he also acquired the posts of Assistant Bursar and Vice Rector.
Returning to the Diocese, he spent a year at St. Christopher’s, Romiley, and served as Parish Priest at St. Bede’s, Weaverham (1986-1990) and St. Peter & Paul, New Brighton (1990-1996), and then to St Hugh of Lincoln, West Timperley, where he stayed until retirement in 2017.
1986 to 1989 – Michael Murray
1989 to 1991 – Simon O’Connor
1991 to 1994 – Anthony Leonard
1994 to 1996 – Terence Hillhouse
1996 to 2000 – Peter Hooper
2002 to 2004 – Ray Burke
2012 to 2013 – Thaddeus Opara
2013 to 2015 – Edmund Montgomery
Fr Edmund Montgomery came to the parish of Our Lady & St Christopher’s in the summer of 2011 as a student to the priesthood. He was to spend some time in the Parish as part of his studies. In December of 2012, Edmund was ordained as a Deacon in Shrewsbury Cathedral, and on 22nd June 2013, on the feast of St John Fisher & St Thomas More, Deacon Edmund was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Mark Davies. It was announced at the end of his Ordination Mass, that Fr Edmund’s first appointment in the Diocese of Shrewsbury, would be at Our Lady & St Christopher’s.After a total of 4 years within the Parish as Seminarian, Deacon & Priest, Fr Edmund left in February 2015, going to Shrewsbury Cathedral as assistant Priest.