Timeline of Events


When it all started

1912 – Harrytown Hall opened as a Mass Centre and a School
13/5/1912 – First Mass was said in the Chapel. Ref W. Griffin appointed 1st rector of the Parish
21/7/1912 – New Chapel officially opened by Bishop Singleton


Harrytown School Opens

13/1/1913 – Harrytown School opened with 10 pupils


New Presbytery

1921 – 18 Gorsey Brow became the new presbytery
1924 – Fr Griffin moved on and replaced by Fr. Edgar Kirby
1928 – Fr Kirby replaced by Fr Oswald Calderbank. Assembly Rooms obtained. Approx 250 parishioners


New Church, First Baptism & Marriage

2/3/1932 – Mr Peter Roarke, then oldest Parishioner, cut the first sod of land given by the sisters of Evron for the new Church
23/4/1932 – Bishop Moriaty laid the foundation stone for the new Church
20/11/1932 – Official opening of new Church by Bishop Moriaty
12/12/1932 – First Baptism in the Church – Sheila Maria Reynolds
6/8/1934 – First Marriage in the Church – Tommy Nolan to Helen Gilmore
1939 – Fr Hickey arrived


New Arrivals

1940’s - SVP formed
1944 – Fr Quinn arrived
1949 – Fr Kelly arrived


Silver Jubilee

1950 – Fr Doyle arrived. Approx 1000 parishioners
1950’s – Cubs and Guides formed
30/8/1952 – New Presbytery opened
21/11/1957 – Silver Jubilee of the Parish. Approx 1500 parishioners
14/12/1958 – Bishop Murphy blessed the new Lourdes Shrine
1959 – Scouts Formed
30/6/1959 – Fr Sheerin arrived


30/7/1960 – First Curate, Fr Byrne arrived
Feb 1963 – Fr Sheerin departed due to ill health and Fr Elcock arrived
Sept 1965 – The new Primary School opened
1966 – Fr Thien arrived in the Parish and the Parish Hall was completed
1967 – Completion of the Church extension. Officially opened 30th Dec


1971 – Fr Elcock tragically killed whilst on holiday. Fr Abbott arrived
June 1972 – Diamond Jubilee of the Parish (1912) and Ruby Jubilee of the Church (1932) celebrated
12/4/1975 – Last Mass celebrated at Harrytown Chapel
1977 – Fr Abbott moved on and Fr St John arrived. Presbytery extended
1978 – Fr St John invited the Medical Missionaries of Mary to set up house in Romiley
Late 1970’s – Mass Centres started at Woodley Civic Hall and the Scout Hut, Cherry Tree
2/6/1978 – First Eucharistic Minister commissioned – Mr Tom Atkinson


1980 – The Sanctury reorganised in line with new liturgical requirements
11/11/1981 – New Altar consecrated by Bishop Joseph Gray.
1982 – Golden Jubilee of Church and Parish tour to Rome and Sorrento
1984 – Fr English arrived
1986 – Fr English departed through ill health and Fr Cogliolo arrived
1988 – The Friendship Group formed


1994 – Fr McLeish arrived
1998 – Formation of the Social Group and Communications Group
1999 – Fr David Long arrived and Parish Pastoral Team formed


Sept 2000 – Parish Finance & Property Committee formed
Sept 2001 – Small Christian Communities established
March 2003 – Closure of the Parish Centre
Sept 2004 – Fr John O’Reilly arrived
Sept 2008 – Fr Philip Egan arrived


St Christopher Centre Opens

Sept 2011 – The Parish welcomed Edmund Montgomery, a student to the priesthood who would be spending some time in the parish as part of his studies
February 2012 – The parish welcomed a new Assistant Priest, Fr Thaddeus Opara, who arrived in the parish from the Diocese of Ahiara in Nigeria.
Sept 2012 – Fr Philip left the Parish to become the new Bishop of Portsmouth and we welcomed the arrival of our new Parish Priest – Fr Michael Gannon
December 2012 – Edmund ordained a Deacon in Shrewsbury Cathedral
June 2013 – Deacon Edmund ordained Priest in Church by Bishop Mark Davies, and Fr Thaddeus left for a new appointment in Northwich
March 2016 – New parish centre, The St Christopher Centre formally opened by Bishop Mark Davies