1912 to 1924 – William Griffin
1924 to 1928 – Edgar Kirby
1928 to 1939 – Oswald Calderbank
1939 to 1944 – Christopher Hickey
1944 to 1949 – John A Quinn
1949 to 1950 – Wilfred Kelly
Fr Wilfrid Kelly was ordained in Rome on 1st November 1932. He designed altar and panelling for the War Memorial Chapel at St Bede’s Coll., Manchester. For the same college he designed a marble altar for the main chapel which was intended to replace the high altar. Stuflessers of Ortisei, Italy delivered this just before the outbreak of World War II. It remained in packing cases until the end of the War. Because of some opposition from Old Bedians it did not replace the high altar but one of the side altars. The marble is of a beautiful pink which is rather rare. After leaving Rome in 1935 he became curate at New Ferry until 1939, when Bishop Moriarty gave him permission to reside in a private house in Bebington. This was to enable him to devote himself entirely to the work of the League of God. He had started this to combat atheism by means of leaflets distributed by volunteers.With the outbreak of war he was put him in charge of Hoylake parish where he remained until early 1945. Fr Kelly then served in Lymm before coming to Our Lady & St Christopher’s in 1949. After leaving Romiley he went to Ludlow (1950-54 here he had a horse), Crewe (1954-68) and Knutsford (1968-80). He retired in 1981 and died on 10th April 1989. He was held in very high esteem by his Roman rectors, Hinsley and Godfrey and his own Bishop Moriarty. He had considerable ability as an artist and children would be captivated by his drawings used to illustrate his teaching. He was way ahead of his time, having non-Catholic clergy at Matins in the Catholic church in Ludlow well before Vat II Council. He got on well with fools but not so well with intellectuals.
1950 to 1959 – Edward Doyle
1959 to 1963 – Thomas Sheerin
1963 to 1971 Michael Elcock
1971 to 1977 – Maurice Abbott
1977 to 1984 – Louis St John
1984 to 1986 – Michael English
1986 to 1994 – Anthony C Cogliolo
1994 to 1999 – John McLeish
Fr John McLeish was educated at St John’s, Benchill, and St Bede’s College, Manchester, before studying for the priesthood at the English College, Lisbon, from 1953-59 where he was ordained on 31st May 1959 (ironically the same day as Fr James McGrath – our first Assistant Priest!).His first appointment was as assistant priest in St John’s, New Ferry (1959-63), followed by St Michael and All Angels, Birkenhead (1963-66), St Peter’s, Stalybridge (1966-69), and St Anthony’s, Wythenshawe (1969-73).
In 1973 he was appointed parish priest of St Edward’s, Macclesfield (1973-81). From 1981-82 he was priest-in-charge of St Monica’s, Appleton, followed by appointments as parish priest of St Mary’s, Shifnal (1982-88), St Michael and All Angels, Birkenhead (1988-94), before arriving at Our Lady and St Christopher’s in 1994. After 5 years, he moved to St Stephen’s and St Thomas in Market Drayton in 1999 and remained there until his retirement in 2010. Sadly Fr John passed away on 24th May 2016.